Last week, I began shooting for the Giselle series. We made images in costumes for both Act 1 and Act 2. My wonderful model created poses directly from the ballet and I shot some full length and some close up, some from standing, some lying on the floor looking up at her and others from a ladder. These are the raw materials for me to begin working on the conceptual images.
Once I've developed the idea further, we'll most likely shoot some more images with a much clearer plan in mind.
The aim is for the images to tell the story of Giselle but not in a literal sense. I chose an image of the dancer with a veil to begin experimenting with merging multiple exposures - something I haven't done for a long time, since my darkroom days. Using several images of forests, tree branches and bark, I played around with different ideas until I settled on using 2 different tree photographs for this particular Giselle photo.
I wanted the heroine to look etherial and ghost-like, fading away. The branches are overlaid on the photo of the model using different blend modes and masked on and off areas of the photo to keep a hint of the veil in view.
These are a few of the unedited pictures for Act 2.
I'm considering using more elements from the story - the pool, white lilies, grave, cross, midnight and mist.